Whether you just learned about your diagnosis, you’re in the middle of your treatment or you just had your last visit, there are others out there that have been on a journey like yours. Talking with someone might help you cope with the uncertainties of your diagnosis, treatment or future.
At UC Health, our support groups allow survivors to connect and share with others who are also experiencing similar personal journeys with cancer. All sessions are hosted by a licensed mental health professional. Registration is not required.
General Cancer Support
These cancer support groups are open to patients with all types of cancers as well as their family members and caregivers. They are professionally mediated by a master's-level social worker and are free to all participants. Assistance for transportation is available.
- Date: Third Wednesday of every month
- Time: 6:30–8 p.m.
- Location: West Chester Hospital, 7700 University Drive, West Chester, OH, 45069, in the Sleep Medicine Center conference room
- Phone: 513-791-4060
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head and Neck Cancer Support
This group is led by a master's-level social worker and provides support for head and neck cancer patients. Outside speakers will also present on topics of interest.
- Date: Third Thursday of every month
- Time: Time rotates based on the location of the group
- Location: UC Health Physicians Office–Clifton, 222 Piedmont Ave., Cincinnati, OH, 45219; or West Chester Hospital, 7700 University Drive, West Chester, OH, 45069
- Phone: 513-584-8548
- Email: Hannah Hartig, MSW, LISW email@example.com
Acoustic Neuroma Support
UC Health has a large and growing support group for patients with a history of acoustic neuromas. Our unique features include outside speakers, acoustic neuroma surgeon participation, a caring and sharing session where patients can talk about their experience and information from a national group in Atlanta.
- Date: Every other month
- Time: Please contact Acoustic Neuroma Support for more details.
- Location: UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute, 3113 Bellevue Ave., Cincinnati, OH, 45229
- Phone: 513-831-0336
- Email: Alice Wedding firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I'm not interested in joining a support group?
We understand a support group might not be for everyone. At UC Health, we offer individual supportive services and counseling options to fit your needs. Our oncology social workers are there to help reduce stress for you and your
family through all phases of your cancer treatment and beyond.
We can help you:
- Access information to help you understand your diagnosis and treatments.
- Cope with your diagnosis of cancer and the many emotions you may be experiencing.
- Understand social security benefits, disability benefits and insurance coverage.
- Talk with your treatment team members about your goals of care.
- Talk with your children, family, friends or coworkers.
- Cope with your emotions, such as sadness, anger, worry and fears.
- Reduce stress and use relaxation skills.
- Understand how cancer affects sex, intimacy, fertility and feeling good about your body.
- Live with cancer, address issues commonly experienced and access resources to help you long term.
- Plan for your care with the use of advance directives.
- Understand life as a cancer survivor.
- Connect to programs that offer financial assistance.
We can offer:
- Supportive counseling for you and your family members.
- Support groups and educational programs.
- Referrals to community counseling and other support services.