The Latest Option
The gastric sleeve, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, is the newest and fastest growing surgical option for weight loss. This minimally invasive, laparoscopic surgery is performed using tiny incisions, less than ½ inch each in the abdomen, rather than a single, large incision, like traditional surgery. It involves removing about 80 percent of the stomach, leaving a long banana-shaped sleeve that acts as the new, smaller stomach.
After the surgery, you feel full on much smaller amounts of food, which then reduces your consumption and you lose weight. With help from our team and dedication to a weight loss plan, most patients see excellent results. Everyone’s struggle is different. We’re here to help you discover the best weight loss option for you.
Advantages of Gastric Sleeve
The gastric sleeve offers some advantages when compared to the gastric band or gastric bypass.
- Unlike the gastric band, no abdominal port is required for adjustment, since the stomach is permanently changed.
- The part of the stomach where the hunger hormone is made is removed in the procedure, which also helps reduce that hungry feeling.
- The procedure can be revised, either by performing a second gastric sleeve, adding a gastric bypass or placing a band at the top of the stomach.
- Gastric sleeve patients do not experience dumping syndrome that can happen with a gastric bypass when food is passed too quickly form the stomach into the intestines. Dumping syndrome can cause nausea, vomiting, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness or other stomach-flu-like symptoms.
Considerations for Gastric Sleeve
- The gastric sleeve procedure is not adjustable or reversible.
- Like any surgery, the potential for complications exists, including a leak in the staple line, which requires immediate care and additional surgery.
- After the procedure, it is very important that gastric sleeve patients follow their prescribed post-surgery instructions and make it to their routine office visits.
- Patients will need to take a multivitamin and B12 supplement after having gastric sleeve.
Watch Aaron’s Story
Aaron has lost more than 115 pounds since weight loss surgery with the UC Health Weight Loss Center.
Watch Rebecca’s Story
Rebecca lost more than 100 pounds since having weight loss surgery in order to qualify for a lung transplant.
Take the first step to achieve long-term, healthy weight loss success. Our free weight loss seminar is a great way learn more, ask questions and explore your options.