The Benefits and Risks of Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss surgery has become commonplace in today’s society. With the extraordinary strides and advances that this medical specialty has taken, weight loss surgery has never been safer or more effective than it is today.
It is important to remember that any major surgery comes with many benefits and risks. Weighing the pros and cons will ultimately help a patient determine whether they are ready for this life-changing procedure.
No two people are the same and the benefits of surgery can depend on your lifestyle, attitude and motivation. Those patients who use weight loss surgery as a powerful tool to help them control their hunger, along with adopting a healthy lifestyle, will succeed and love the changes taking place in their bodies and lives.
Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery
- Quality of life improvements as a result of weight loss are immeasurable.
- The possibility of exceptional long-term weight loss.
- The possibility of improving or eliminating the diseases associated with obesity.
- Many major insurance companies cover weight loss surgery.
- Weight loss surgery techniques have advanced significantly in recent years, reducing complications.
- Many different forms of weight loss surgery are available to choose from.
- Cost savings from elimination of medications and other associated costs of obesity often pay for the surgery itself.
- Each procedure has its own set of specific benefits.
Considerations of Weight Loss Surgery
- Patients have to adjust to a new, healthier lifestyle, including diet and exercise routines after surgery.
- Weight loss surgery may cause sagging skin, which may require cosmetic surgery for removal.
- Patients may need to supplement their diet with vitamins or minerals for the rest of their lives, depending on the procedure.
- Each procedure has its own set of specific risks, but with help from our team and dedication to a weight loss plan, most patients see excellent results. If you have any concerns about surgery, please talk to us about them and we will answer any questions you may have.
Ultimately, spending the time researching available surgical weight loss options will help each person understand which procedure is the right choice for him or her. If you or a loved one are considering weight loss surgery, we invite you to attend one of our free weight loss surgery seminars, or to make an appointment to speak with one of our surgeons for a consultation. We can answer your questions and help you decide if weight loss surgery is right for you.